Feel the Love Tonight
Instead of cursing Covid (I mean Cupid), share the love this Valentine’s Day with your friends by throwing a fabulous virtual party celebrating each other.
Love is in the Air
Gather a plethora of supplies that you and your friends will need for your party. Then pile them all into a sweet red bag filled with pink tissue paper. At least one week before the event, drop each bag off on your friends front door.
The bags should contain recipe cards for cookies and punch (below), a few chocolates, decorations, supplies for making valentine’s and any additional favor items you want to give your friends (such as red scrunchies, heart shaped glasses or a sweet pair of heart earrings or necklace).
Isn’t it Romantic?
In addition to candles and fresh flowers, here are darling decorations to set the mood:
- Cover your background with red gift-wrap and tape on white paper lace doilies.
- Using cheap red lipstick, write “Be Mine” on your mirror (remind your mom to calm down – it comes off with glass cleaner).
- Cover your desk with a pink or red tablecloth and sprinkle conversation heart candies and paper confetti hearts (find them in the party aisle at the grocery store).
Labor of Love
As a fun activity, create a “design-your-own” Valentine station. Ask each girl to create a special note for each guest affirming all the reasons she’s loved. Then, have each girl send the special note via snail mail. For supplies, stop by a craft store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby and buy paper doilies, colored paper, Valentine-themed scrapbook paper, ribbons, colored markers and pens, glue sticks, etc. (Tip: Hunt around the house first-you may be surprised what you’ll discover!) If you don’t supply all these items for your guests, then make sure they have some on hand.
Stick to a scrumptious selection of sweets. Complement these Classic Valentine Cookies with store-bought heart brownies. Be sure to have plenty of themed candy dishes filled with chocolates scattered throughout the party area.
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ cups shortening
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, slowly mix in the shortening and blend well.
- Stir in the almond extract and milk, followed by the eggs.
- Roll dough onto a floured surface. (Tip: Dust flour onto the rolling pin to prevent sticking).
- Cut out hearts and arrange on a greased cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookie is just golden.
- Frost with pink frosting and sprinkle with red sugar or have your guests decorate their own.
Yields: Four-dozen (48) cookies (depending on the size of the cookie cutter).
Love Potion #9
Serve up perfect punch with this recipe:
- 2 liters ginger ale
- 2 liters cranberry juice
- 1 gallon raspberry sherbet
- Pour half of the chilled ginger ale and cranberry juice into a large punch bowl. Scoop the raspberry sherbet into the bowl and then add the remaining ginger ale and cranberry juice over the sherbet.
- For fun, toss a few rose petals into the punch bowl and serve!
Find the perfect play list or cater to your girlfriends with beloved chick flicks and host one enchanted evening.